CIAP is a platform for contemporary art, founded in 1976 by a citizens’ collective and based at C-mine — a revitalised mining site in Genk, a stone’s throw from the Dutch and German borders.CIAP’s organisational structure is based on the model of the Kunstverein (art association). In this framework, CIAP organises exhibitions, lectures, artist talks, studio visits and excursions, and regularly produces editions.
FLACC boasts professionally equipped workshops for metal- and woodworking, a digital studio, a kiln workshop for ceramics, small- format bronze and glass applications, and a multifunctional space. Moreover, the organization is aware of production facilities available externally and collaborates with workshops, schools and companies in the neighbourhood to give artists the best possible support.
CIAP and FLACC are structurally supported by the Flemish Community and are currently working, in consultation with the city of Genk, on the transformation into a new organisation. Together, CIAP and FLACC are going to realise a new infrastructure on the C-mine site, designed by the architectural office 51N4E, and planned for 2022.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a creative, driven professional to take up the lead in drawing up and executing the artistic strategy, and related to it broad lines of financial management, in the context of new developments at C-mine site. As artistic director, you develop the artistic programme of CIAP/FLACC and curate ambitious projects, in consultation with the artistic committee and the team. You work closely together with artists from Belgium and abroad, and you are able to translate ideas into an ambitious but realistic framework. You develop an ambitious policy plan for the next subsidy application (due end of 2021), which presents a perspective on the functioning of the organisation and the new partnership in the years 2023-2027.
Experience, tasks & responsibilites
- You have a university degree or other higher education qualification.
- You have a great interest in and affinity for contemporary visual arts.
- You have several years of relevant experience in working with artistic projects (at least 5 years).
- You have business knowledge, preferably in the socio-cultural sector, and a relevant network.
- You have experience as a manager and someone who connects and can brings out the best in others (in the external network, the internal organisation and among artists).
- You respect deadlines, and you are able to handle different tasks simultaneously and set your priorities.
- You have excellent organisational skills, combining decisiveness and accuracy with flexibility.
- You are looking for creative solutions and you are motivated to maintain and increase financial flows.
- You are proactive and you bring in new ideas without playing solo. You act in cooperation with others.
- You are flexible (variable timetable).
- You have sufficient knowledge of Dutch and English (other languages are a plus).
- You take the lead in drawing up and executing the artistic strategy, in close and open collaboration with the artistic leader of the workplaces and other colleagues.
- You develop the artistic programme of CIAP and curate ambitious projects, in consultation with the artistic committee and the team.
- Together with the artistic leader of the workplaces, the business director and the other colleagues, you develop an ambitious policy plan for CIAP/FLACC, which must be submitted to the Flemish government at the end of 2021.
- You work closely with artists from Belgium and abroad, and you are able to translate ideas into an ambitious but realistic framework.
- You support the business and administrative manager
- You represent the organisation in a range of policy-making bodies, boards, and in the media, and you give space to your colleague artistic leader of the workplaces in this respect.
- You report to the board of directors and the artistic committee on an artistic level, in close coordination with the colleagues from the workshop.
- Together with the business director, you coordinate the artistic mission, vision and policy with the business policy.
- You prepare annual reports, policy plans, subsidy files and other forms of reporting.
What we offer
We offer a full-time contract for an indefinite period. You are remunerated according to cao PC 329 (socio-cultural work), you are entitled to holiday pay, end-of-year bonus, meal vouchers, a social subscription, and ICOM card.
CIAP/FLACC does not discriminate between candidates based on age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, disability or nationality.
A seniority of max. 10 years is covered.
You can apply until 31 March 2021.
Starting date of employment: 1 May 2021.
Send your application with a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com